Who doesn’t love a taco bar? This combination is the sophisticated, dinner-party-ready version. This menu used the occasional shortcut, but it didn’t take days of prep work and was so colorful and festive. Serve with margaritas and Mexican beer.
Colorful Mayo-less Slaw
Assorted Toppings: Mexican Cheese, Scallions, Chipotle Aioli
Everything but the grilled veggie plate was made ahead. Here was the game plan:
- Put the pork in a slow cooker. I used this recipe from how sweet it is.
- Prepped the Mango Salsa, Slaw, and toppings. Moved directly to serve ware, covered and stored in the fridge. I won’t go into specific details on these items, be inspired and create your own combinations (or just google like I did). I followed the mango salsa that went with the pork mentioned above but added a secret ingredient- grated ginger!
- Made the red rice. I used this recipe from Real Simple. It was delicious and reheated well in a covered casserole dish.
- Take a break and clean the house, clean yourself up, and then return to the kitchen.
- Prep the veggies (slice, brush with oil, S&P). I used portabellas, zucchini, and red peppers. These looked beautiful on a plate.
- Assemble the buffet and make it look pretty minus the pork, tortillas, and veggies.
- The pork is done! Remove from the crockpot, shred, shred, shred and move to serving platter.Move liquid from the crockpot and pour overtop to keep moist. Cover with foil.
- With 30 minute to game time pour yourself a margarita (or beer if that is your thing) and start the grill. Start with the tortillas, just 1-2 minutes per side, then wrap in a damp paper towel and foil. Then grill the veggies.
- Chop the veggies and move to a serving platter.
- Then (in my case) feel a little embarrassed taking pictures in front of your dinner guests. Pictures weren’t great but the food was.